[SI-LIST] Re: Differential trace Characteristic Impedance

  • From: "Vincenzo Kreft-Kerekes" <vincenzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SRogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:07:04 -0500

Steve,

Quick question diverging from differential trace impedance: What distance do
these USB traces need to cover? Does running them "around the board" mean
literally around a bunch of components. What's the geometry here? Do you
have the board space to place a PHY or other receiving device direcly next
to the connector and worry about getting an 8 bit bus at some 20 Mhz around
the board instead of dealing with differential impendances at 480Mhz?
Apple's new server modules for instance have I believe two Firewire 800
(1Gb/s, .5ns edge) ports spaced far apart and one PHY on each port to avoid
routing the differential traces for long distances.

Also, when I see USB 1.1 mentioned, are you sure you don't want to use a
high-speed PHY with USB 2.0 instead? They come in much smaller packages than
USB 1.1 PHYs and your product would be as fast as USB can be for some time
to come.

Best,
Vincenzo