[SI-LIST] Re: Differential microstrip with coplanar ground traces ... unexpected results

  • From: Ed Sayre III <esayre3@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: welte@xxxxxxxxxx, "silist" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:37:32 -0400

Bob,
    A quick rule of thumb for CPW (coplanar waveguide) is to have the
grounds at least 5 times wider then the signal conductor.  As part of my
doctoral research characterized aluminum CPW transmission lines.  I had CPW
lines with 5 line widths wide and 1 line width wide grounds.
I saw a significant increase (~20-25%) increase in the characteristic
impedance for the narrow grounds over the 50 Ohms seen for the wide ground.
    When looking at the CPW or microstrip structure in a field solver make
sure that the ground extends well beyond the etch.  To really see the
effect of the adjacent ground width of a CPW structure, you will  need to
make the distance to the adjacent grounds much smaller then the vertical
distance to a reference plane, above or below.
  Best of luck
         -Ed Sayre, 3rd

List archives are viewable at: