[SI-LIST] Re: Difference betweem single stripline & dual stripline

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:14:17 -0700

Hi Bob,
Here's a quick synopsis of a short study I did using XFX to model 4 =
topologies:
1) True "stripline"
2) Asymmetric stripline
3) Embedded (or I'm coining the phrase "homogenous") microstrip - =
meaning there's only a single reference plane, and the trace is embedded =
far enough in the dielectric that it sees only a homogenous dielectric
4) Microstrip, with only a thin dielectric covering the trace.

Findings:
True Stripline has conductor(s) sandwiched equidistant from 2 reference =
planes (Symmetric), and has homogenous dielectric.  This is contrary to =
a previous understanding that I had - I thought stripline implied only a =
homogenous dielectric.

Of the 4 topologies studied - Symmetric and Asymmetric Striplines, =
Homogenous (embedded) Microstrip, and Microstrip -=20
   FEXT is 0 for Symmetric Stripline
   FEXT is very low (0.002) for traces on the same layer of Asymmetric =
Stripline and Homogenous Microstrip
   FEXT is fairly high (0.016) for traces on different layers of =
Asymmetric Stripline
   FEXT is highest (0.04) for traces on Microstrip
   NEXT is lowest (~0.03) for Symmetric Stripline and traces on =
different layers of Asymmetric Stripline
   NEXT is highest (-.13) for both Microstrips and traces on the same =
layer of Asymmetric Stripline

Losses are approximately equal, except in case where trace widths are =
reduced for symmetric stripline (to obtain correct Z0) - in that case =
losses are higher

Conclusions:
Given choice between Asymmetric Stripline or Microstrip:
   Microstrip Traces will have significantly more FEXT
   Microstrip Traces will have the same NEXT as Asymmetric Stripline =
traces on the same layer
   Losses are similar
   Traces on different layers of Asymmetric Stripline are susceptible to =
FEXT - should be routed orthogonally
Symmetric Stripline  (once trace widths are reduced to obtain the same =
Z0) are more lossy than other topologies

Another interesting note: XFX calculates forward and reverse crosstalk =
as:
Fwdx =3D (Se - So)/(0.5(Se + So))=20
Rvsx =3D (Ze - Zo)/(Ze + Zo); not sure why units are given as v/v=20
I'd love to hear where these equations were derived.  The XFX manual I =
have doesn't say.

This was a quick study, and I wouldn't deem it conclusive.  I'll be =
interested to hear what others have found...

My study was also only for single-ended traces.  The same concern about =
increased loss for symmetrical (edge-coupled) stripline would hold for =
differential, if you had to narrow the traces to attain the correct Z0, =
versus broadside-coupled.

Jeff Loyer