[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors - mesh density

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:45:37 -0700

I can't speak for a generic power distribution
analysis but for high power processor packaging,
it is quite common to have a progressively larger
grid as you propagate from area under the die on the
package to the package substrate to the pcb.
IMO, if the power/package design is done properly,
there is not even a need to represent the pcb as
a grid but just a 1-D radial distant from the die.
I have done enough on both 2 1/2D and 1D to convince
myself that 1-D is good enough for system engineers
at the PCB level (provided the package is design
properly).

What is interesting is in the area of analyzing
image current return on a non-ideal reference
plane with very sharp edges. Granted the current
should flow tightly under the traces. However, if
the plane via stays far enough from the trace, a
large loop will result and the mesh will become
messy.

Chris