[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors - mesh density

  • From: "Raj Raghuram" <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:12:20 -0700

Sogo, Ray,

The limiting constraint for the number of meshes is usually the spatial
resolution instead of the one-tenth wavelength criterion.  The planes are
typically of complex shapes with multiple patches and voids. Moreover, there
can be a large number of via connections between the planes.  In order to
adequately represent the geometry, the vias connected between planes, and
components (such as decaps) mounted on the board, it is often necessary to
use a few hundred meshes to the side even for small boards or packages.

The simulation times for HSPICE are unusually high because HSPICE was not
designed to solve such circuits containing transmission line meshes.
Therefore, special solvers are needed for such applications.  By way of
comparison, using our special solver (PowerSI) we were able to solve a
208x208 transmission line mesh plane model in about 14 seconds.  In 23
minutes, we were  able to compute 100 frequency points. Loading time is
negligible. The data was obtained on a Pentium III 866 PC with Windows 2000
OS.

Best Regards,

Raj Raghuram
Sigrity, Inc.