[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 Multi rank -ODT

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kbmanick@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:30:15 +0200

Hello,

in case of a Dual rank there are options to get the termination done
just on one Rank of a dual Rank DIMM.

Especially in case of Duel die (or even Quad die)  components it  is a
don't care on which of the Dice you are terminating. in a Quad Rank
stack there are not even enough pins  on the package to get an ODT
signal to all internal devices .

If the controller has a good implementation it is possible to support 4
DIMMs (dual Rank each) with 4 ODT signals ...
In case of Quad Rank DRAM  Support  This would mean two Slots with 2 ODT
Signals per slot...

Hermann

Our next Events:
================

"Open the Black Box of Memory"
Seminar on 09/10. October 2012

Check our website or contact us for details

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Veilchenstrasse 1
94554 Moos
Tel.:   +49 (0)9938 / 902 083
Mobile: +49 (0)176  / 787 787 77
Fax:    +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008

schrieb Balamanikandan K:
> hi
> A DDR3 memory controller has the following pins : ODT0,ODT1,ODT2 and ODT3
>
> But it has the option to support 8 ranks.
>
> In general, One ODT signal is required per rank. Am I right?
>
> How is it possible to use 4 ODT signals for 8 Ranks application?
>
> Please explain me.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: