[SI-LIST] Re: DCD Reduction due to Series Caps on Serial IO

  • From: "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx" <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>, SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 17:25:55 -0700

I can think about a few things on your DCD.

1. When a termination resistor is put between P and N, you won't have common
mode termination. Therefore, if there is some common mode noise, that will
create common mode reflections at your load and, hence, could affect signal
rise/fall time which will result in DCD.

2. When the signal is probed before/after the caps populated on the dif'l pair,
you see the signals from some distance of the termination, which might have
fraction of reflection signals.

3. If a clock path to drive MUXs inside your serializer is not clean, n:1 MUX
output will inherently have DCD.

4. If RC time constant, which is (Rs+RL)*C_dcblock, of your signal path is too
small, it will cause baseline wander and change the duty cycle.

Best Regards,
TK