[SI-LIST] Re: Current sense resistors and power integrity

  • From: "Mikhail Matusov" <matusov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:41:24 -0400

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. This is actually a production
board, so the only real choice I have is to replace the resistors with a
piece of metal or something of that sort. They are by the way 2512 Panasonic
ERJM1W 1% tolerance type. Inductance is claimed to be less than 1 nH. I had
a mysterious failure on this board, which I could only explain by something
being wrong with the power. I was about to rent a VNA to try to measure the
PDN impedance when I discovered that the core voltage was actually set at
the low threshold of the part's spec, and after the resistor it was a few mV
below the minimum spec. I increased the voltage and everything works fine
now, but I am still curious to know whether I should get rid of the
resistors... Perhaps, they at least should have been in the regulator's
loop...

Steve, when you are saying to place the resistor back at the VRM, do you
mean at the input of the VRM?

Thanks,
/Mikhail