[SI-LIST] Re: Connector model using 2D/3D field solver

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bratfest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <esayre3@xxxxxxxx>, <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:12:16 -0700

Gus, I think the key is to first determine how accurate a model or
measurement needs to be to be meaningful, and then set-out to meet that
target.

I would rephrase your "general agreement" statement into:

1. Measurement and models are always limited.  ( Machine aided
hallucinations. )
2. We need to define the required accuracy before we model or measure.
3. We need to use a modeling and/or measurement method that can meet the
required accuracy.
4. Correlation is meaningful only within the accuracy limits of each the
model and the measurement.
5. Peer review can be an important arbiter of hallucination versus reality.

The corollary to 3. is that if we define an unreasonable accuracy target,
we aren't going to get useful results.  OTOH, problems with gross margins
can be modeled on the back of a napkin.  A skilled practitioner will not
waste time developing overly complex measurements and/or models.  Neither
will they accept gross results that lack sufficient accuracy as conclusive.

I think a great point that you make is that correlation doesn't guarantee
correct results.  A faulty understanding of the science can lead to:  a
defective model, a defective test, and incorrect interpretation of the
two.  Pons and Fleischman are our generation's poster children for that
lesson.  Early peer review might have saved them and their management a lot
of embarrassment.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: