[SI-LIST] Re: Connector model using 2D/3D field solver

  • From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: esayre3@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion. Even I was also thinking to contact the vendor to
get the model, but I want to learn how they make model. But looks like it may
require lot of effort and time. How can we check whether the S-Parameter
extracted from the tool is accurate? Do you compare the Tool results with the
result at actual Hardware using Oscilloscope?

Is there any other method to model a connector?

Thanks,

Darshan Mehta

Ed Sayre III <esayre3@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Darshan,
This is not a trivial thing and neither is the cost and training time
for the software you will need. Some of the players are CST, HFSS, and
ADS. It will take a few months, minimum, to go from install to meaningful
and accurate models. I would suggest that a better course of action is to
contact the connector vendor and ask for the models. If unavailable it may
be faster and likely cheaper to design and build a test fixture for making
measurements. Another alternative is to hire a firm/consultant to build
the connector models and extract the s-parameters.

Good luck

-Ed

At 05:16 AM 8/22/2005 -0700, Darshan Mehta wrote:
>Hello Everybody,
>

>I want to model a connector and I have got the information that we can
>extract the S-Parameter using 2D or 3D field solver to model the Connector
>(I am not sure about any other method to model a connector, probably you
>can suggest me). I have found some free 2D/3D field solver on net but I am
>not sure how accurate it will be. Could you please suggest me some 2D or
>3D field solver?
>

>I have downloaded MEFiST 3D field solver which gives S-Parameter values
>but I am not sure whether I will get the accurate results.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Darshan Mehta

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: