[SI-LIST] Connect SGND and PGND on Digital DC/DC Converter?

  • From: Tomas Carlsson <tomas.l.carlsson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:02:21 +0100

Hello,
This is a question on the popular topic whether to stitch different grounds
(analog / digital / power) together or not.

I am looking in the datasheet and app notes for a couple of Digital DC/DC
Converter Modules (17A or 6A):
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn7914.pdf
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn6852.pdf

It is recommended to connect the analog/signal ground (SGND) island to the
power ground (PGND) in *one place only*.

I have a 12 layer stack-up with 4-5 ground planes. I plan to stitch all
ground points (regardless SGND / PGND / DGND) together through vias close
to each ground pad to avoid creating plane cuts. This will in effect stitch
SGND to PGND and make the design simpler. What are your thoughts on this?
Is it a good or bad idea to make the entire DC/DC module see the same
ground?

Thanks,
Tomas Carlsson

List technical documents are available at: