[SI-LIST] Re: Cmos I/O & GTL I/O

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sunil Chandra KASANYAL <sunil-chandra.kasanyal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:56:41 -0800

Sunil, instead of shouting, perhaps you would care to think through your
claim.  Why do you believe that SS I/Os are not preferred for multi-drop
busses?

SS, multidrops:

1) Are not suitable as timing strobes.

2) Erode timing margin.  How much depends entirely on the application and
topology.

The timing penalty ranges from almost nothing:  when loads are clustered,
to significant:  loads distribute from close to the driver to far away.

The extra time needed for the reflection to travel back to the nearest load
leads to an increased effective flight time of:  Ttxline_furthest_load -
Ttxline_nearest_load.

That value sets both an increase in absolute delay, and reduction in the
common data valid window.  If the resulting timing margin reduction is
acceptable, then SS multidrop gets the job done with advantages of its own
in terms of:  simplicity, peak current draw, and / or reduced termination /
termination power supply real-estate.

Whether SS is suitable for a given multi-drop application or not depends on
the application.   Rules declaring preferred and not preferred without
considering the circumstances are foolish at best.

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http:/www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: