[SI-LIST] Choosing extraction frequency for package RLGC

  • From: "Frank Dunlap" <fdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:08:17 -0800

I apologize if my question has been answered in previous postings.  I
searched the archives, yet did not find an answer.

From my understanding, an "extraction" frequency must be specified for
tools that generate RLGC from package data.  My question is, "how does
one choose an appropriate frequency?"

Note the excerpt below and take note of the implications of the last
sentence:

Pages_5-21_5-22_from hspice_signal_integrity_guide.pdf

Some designers use 0.35/trise to estimate the skin effect frequency.
This estimate is good for the bandwidth occupied by a transient, but
not for the clock frequency, at which most of the energy is
transferred. In fact, a frequency of 0.35/trise is far too high and
results in excessive loss for almost all applications. Simulation
computes the skin effect frequency from 1/(15*trise). If you use
precomputed model parameters (ELEV =3D 2), compute the resistance
matrix at the skin effect frequency.

I've heard various opinions regarding frequency selection, yet wanted to
gather more opinions from you SI folks.

One other question: when working with a limited budget while dealing
with a package that supports multiple interfaces that operate at
different frequencies, are there recommendations as to how to determine
the best frequency for RLGC extraction that yields reasonable results
for all interfaces?  Given only one frequency to use for the entire RLGC
extraction, my choice would be to use an extraction frequency based upon
the requirements of the highest-frequency interface.

Thanks,

Frank

Some more search terms to aid others in finding this e-mail later:

RLC LCR RLGC=20

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: