[SI-LIST] Re: Choosing W and S for Differential signal?

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ched_chang@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:39:45 -0500

Chai:

Several of the gurus will tell you that what you actually want are loosely
coupled pairs. Howard Johnson discusses this in some of his presentations. A
trace width that is a little less than you need to get single ended 50 Ohms
with the pair spacing such that you achieve 100 Ohms will achieve this.
There are several benefits to this approach including less impedance
discontinuities when you have to separate the pair when going through a pin
field.