[SI-LIST] Re: Chip caps vs. Tantalum

  • From: "Lewandowski, Bob" <blewandowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:10:09 -0500

There are also issues of a similar nature with very large cap value
ceramics in small package sizes.  As capacitance goes up plate thickness
goes down, with a resultant decrease in reliability.  The problems are
frequently caused by silver migration, which requires moisture, and/or
plate porosity.  In principal ceramic capacitors should be "hermetic",
but it doesn't take much of a break in the surface to cause a problem.
A couple of lifetimes ago, we had some ceramic caps that were
affectionately known as "Blue Bombs" because a several actually
exploded.  Surge can be a major issue as well as very low supply
impedance.

---Bob Lewandowski
   Stratos Lightwave

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D