[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors and Anti-resonance

  • From: "Paradis, Daniel" <Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paradis, Daniel" <Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:32:40 -0400

Lee
Thanks for your feedback.
I will try to get the paper.
Do you have the URL ?
Who will be the publisher of your book?
I am always interested by the latest.

Regards
DP

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Ritchey [mailto:leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 1:07 PM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Paradis, Daniel
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors and Anti-resonance

Daniel,

There is a much better paper on this done by the engineers at University of
Missouri Rolla.  It demonstrates that the location of capacitors of any
value makes little or no difference at the frequencies involved in edges of
that speed.  Their self inductance renders them ineffective.  The plane
capacitor you intentionally build into the PCB is the supplier of those
switching currents.

I have repeated those tests with a fellow engineer and demonstrated the
same thing.  Our results will be published in my new book, "Right the First
Time, a Practical Handbook on High Speed Design'.

The UMR paper is:   Hubing, Todd H. etal, "Power Bus Decoupling on
Multilayer Printed Circuit Boards" IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic
Compatibility, Vol. 37, NO 2, May 1995.

Lee

Lee Ritchey
leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete it from your computer.

> List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: