[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors and Anti-resonance

  • From: Istvan Novak - Board Design Technology <inovak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:33:25 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel,

If you are worried about capacitor-capacitor antiresonance, it usually occurs
at
low enough frequencies that physical separation on the board can be neglected.
You can try 'what-if' scenarios with the assumed capacitors using either SPICE
or spreadsheets that plot the cumulative impedance of multiple capacitors.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

        From: "Paradis, Daniel" <Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx>
        To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [SI-LIST] Capacitors and Anti-resonance
        Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:57:46 -0400

        I started to use only 0.1uF decoupling caps on our latest designs.
        This is to avoid the anti-resonance effect that occurs when using 2
        different caps near each other.
        The rule of thumb is to use the largest cap available for the package.
        So far I got good results, but I was wondering....

        Is-there a simple way to determine the distance between 2 different
        decoupling caps beyond which there is no anti-resonance effect?

        In other words..
        Say that I stick to this general rule of using only one cap.
        It seems to me that there could be exceptions to that rule.
        In the case of a high speed clock buffer for instance;
        I could need 0.0047uF instead of 0.1uF
        If this clock buffer is located far from other parts of the design.
        Can I avoid anti-resonance?

        Daniel Paradis
        Staff Electrical Engineer
        Digital Subscriber Networks

        Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.
        5030 Sugarloaf Parkway, ATL 1.3468
        Lawrenceville, GA 30042
        Tel: (770) 236-7896
        Fax: (770) 236-2449

             - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -

        This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible
for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of
this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or
disseminate
this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your
computer.

        List archives are viewable at:

Istvan Novak            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx    Workgroup Servers, BDT Group,
                        One Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
                        Phone: (781) 442 0340

List archives are viewable at: