[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitor surge current

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:07:14 -0800

Chris, generally the current is limited by power dissipation capacity
determined by ESR.  16A destroying a big ceramic capacitor doesn't seem
right.  Are you sure it isn't more like 100A?

It may be too late for your particular design right now, but usually on
power entries, I try to use absolutely minimal capacitance on the line side
of the hot-swap switch to prevent arcing and deplating problems.

Steve.
At 08:37 AM 3/9/2004 -0800, Christopher Jakubiec wrote:
>Group,
>
>Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge of the susceptability of
>ceramic surface mount capacitors to surge/inrush currents?  I have a 48V
>circuit that uses a 1uF, 100V, X7R SMD ceramic capacitor and it appears
>that the capacitors are shorting out in some cases.  I have measured the
>inrush current during turn on, and I am finding a current spike on the
>order of 16A for approximately 40uS, and then the current decays for
>another 160uS or so.  The voltage at turn on is peaking at about 58V.
>Most capacitor manufacturer data sheets that I have looked at do not
>really specify this specifically.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Jakubiec
>Sun Microsystems