[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitor surge current

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:10:44 -0800

Suppose I was trying to design a good/safe circuit using large ceramic caps.
Is there anything in the data sheet that tells me how much current they can
take?

Most data sheets for electrolytic caps have ripple current specs.  I don't
remember seeing anything like that for ceramic caps.  I just scanned a few
data sheets that I had handy.  I didn't see anything, but maybe other data
sheets are better.

What sort of low duty cycle peak currents are reasonable?  The particular
case that started this discussion seems to be due to a turn-on surge.  I'm
surprised that an occasional event like that would harm a capacitor.  How
would I calculate a safe rise time?  Or is that even the right question?

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: