[SI-LIST] Re: CHGND connection in DVI connector

  • From: qantrix <qantrix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 15:15:29 +0200

Steve,

http://img504.imageshack.us/i/currentdesign.png/
you can find current design. data(diff.pairs) shield connected to sgnd.

suggested design see here
http://img266.imageshack.us/i/suggested.png/

As you can see ch_gnd will cover all area of dvi connector and pins of
data pairs shield connected to ch_gnd.
diff.pairs will pass under separation  between planes.

Idea make it like this seems like bad.

But it's possible to connect pairs shield to ch_gnd without creating
slot under pairs and cable will have only quite ch_gnd shield for each
pair and not dirty sgnd.  Question is - does this shield carrying
return currents ? How it will work from EMC point  ?

2010/5/4 steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Is there a reason you want to isolate signal common from chassis?  Common
> practice is to join the two near the chassis boundary.  If you attempt to
> isolate them, you will have lots of capacitive sneak paths.  If they are
> joined you will not have a CM discontinuity issue.
>
> Steve.
>
> qantrix wrote:
>>
>> I have question about CHGND connection in DVI connector/cable.
>> There is two kind of shields - one - is shield for data/clock  pair;
>> second - whole cable shield.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
>>
>> We had some EMC consultation - was suggested to connect internal pairs
>> shield to chgnd.
>> on pcb make polygone chgnd that cover area up to end of dvi connector.
>> So diff.pairs will run under slot of gnd.separation.
>>
>> Question is - how should be connected internal shields in DVI
>> conenctor - to sgnd or to chgnd?
>>
>> diff. pairs running on the slot - seems like bad idea?

>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List technical documents are available at:
>>                http://www.si-list.net
>>
>> List archives are viewable at:
>>  //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>>  Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
>>                http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
>>

> --
> Steve Weir
> IPBLOX, LLC 150 N. Center St. #211