[SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitances

  • From: Iliya Zamek <i_zamek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "aaditya.kandibanda@xxxxxxxxx" <aaditya.kandibanda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Aaditya,
Istvan and Rick gave you good answers .

I want to add that increasing number of decoupling capacitances might cause
strong PDN system resonance. PDN noise resonance,
We did experiments which demonstrate these effects and described its in a paper
"SOC-System Jitter Resonance and Its Impact on Common Approach to the PDN
Impedance", 2008.
You might see this paper here:
http://www.seriallite.com/search?output=xml_no_dtd&sortÚte%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&client=www_frontend&proxystylesheet=www_frontend&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&site=www&q=SOC-system%20Jitter%20resonance

If you have troubles to use this link, let me know and I'll send you a paper.

Continuation of this research published recently at Designcon 2012 - "On-chip
Jitter and System Power Integrity".
Increasing the decoupling have been a common approach at PCB design for many
years.  As papers demonstrates, increasing
number of decoupling capacitors often makes situation even worse.

Regards,
Iliya Zamek
Semtech Corp.