[SI-LIST] Re: Guard Traces

  • From: <Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <doh@xxxxxxxxxx>, <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:32:22 +0000

If there is no ground plane below your trace (e.g. single layer design) and you
use "guard traces" to "stabilize" the line impedance, what you really have is a
coplanar waveguide. I would not use the term "guard traces" in this situation -
those are actually your reference planes now (just happen to be coplanar with
your signal trace instead of below it). And you better have very tight
tolerances on your signal-trace-to-ground-trace spacing and width to get even a
modicum of impedance control (to achieve 50 Ohm impedance the required spacing
will have to be MUCH smaller than your line width, so any etch tolerance
becomes a major factor).

Wolfgang