[SI-LIST] Re: Bandwidth

  • From: trigg <trigg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:28:39 +0100

A paragraph in "A HANDBOOK OF BLACK MAGIC" by Howard Johnston and Martin
Graham,

20-80% Rise Time.
This rise time is defined as the difference in time between when a step
responce crosses the 20% threshold and when it reaches 80% of its final value.
Manufacturers wishing to improve the appearance of their specification sheets
sometimes quote a 20-80% rise time, which makes the rise time figures look
faster.
T20-80= T(step at 80%) - T(step at 20%)
The 20-80% rise time hinges on measurments taken at only 2 points on a step
responce.Its principle strength is its ease of aplication.Its principal
weakness is its sensitivity to noise or ringing present at the same points.

Practicaly all measurments in this book are 10-90% the book is intended for
"High speed digital design"

hope this helps.

Trigger

Ken Cantrell wrote:

> Rich,
> I use the 20%-80% value only when confirming the [Ramp] data in the ibis
> file.  Other than that I use 10%-90%.  Under what conditions have you found
> the 20%-80% more accurate?
> Ken

List archives are viewable at: