[SI-LIST] Re: Bandwidth

  • From: "Dagostino, Tom" <tom_dagostino@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'p2rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <p2rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:04:37 -0700

The first reference I saw of 10-90% was in scopes and the equation used there
is BW = 0.35/Tr.  The constant depends on the response of the "filter".  The
0.35 number assumes a 2 pole critically damped Guassian response if I remember
correctly.  Other responses will have different constants.

The 20-80% numbers I first saw were from Motorola ECL databooks in the 60's.
They used the 20-80 numbers because the transition characteristics of ECL were
fast in the middle and slow around the corners.  If you used the 10-90 numbers
with ECL you would get an unrealistically slow number.  The max dV/dT is the
critical issue for SI.

Hope this helps.

Tom Dagostino
Modeling Manager