[SI-LIST] Backplane 'overaly' question

  • From: Bill Dempsey <BDempsey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:40:40 -0500

All,

  I am designing an 'overlay' board that connects a series of boards plugged
into a backplane.  This overlay can only reference its return planes -
striplines - through the pins of the circuit packs it plugs into.  The
signaling is expected to be fairly highspeed (2.5-3.125 Gbps).  All of the
signal paths are edge coupled striplines with 'ground' reference.   The
ground that the overlay ties into is coupled to the local ground of each
circuit pack at its connection point.  The connector is an FCI Metral 4000
connector.
  I was wondering -- in general, are there EMI issues when doing this sort
of overlay design ?  Has anyone on this list attempted this sort of concept
and tested its performance from an emissions standpoint?  Any gotchas I
should be thinking about?

Thanks,
Bill

List archives are viewable at: