[SI-LIST] Re: Ansoft Q2D vs. Q3D

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Yassin, Adnan" <adnan.yassin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:59:41 -0700

It appears that the Q3D model is inferring mutual coupling to some
structure.  Perhaps your bounding box is too small.

As a sanity check, in rough numbers, for a 30um height above the plane
we should expect about 38pH/square which works out to about 2500nH/m at
15um width.  That is way-off from either of the inductance/length
figures you obtained.  So, something looks fundamentally wrong.

Steve.
On 5/20/2011 11:27 AM, Yassin, Adnan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I have a question regarding extraction data using Ansoft Q2D vs. Q3D. I have
> a simple model consists of a copper trace, 15um wide&  15um high. It is 30um
> above a reference ground. The dielectric constant of the material between the
> trace and the GND plane is 3.9. RLCG is extracted at 1.0GHz. The "RL" data I
> get from Q2D is different than Q3D for the same model (data is below). Can
> someone explain why the difference? The Q3D model is generated from Q2D model
> using "Create 3D Design" command in Ansoft. What do I need to do when
> generating 3D design from 2D design before extracting RLCG?
>
>               G(mS/m) C(pF/m) R(ohm/m)        L(nH/m)
> Q2D Design    6.81            108.0           123.85  304.14
> Q3D Design    6.63            108.2           82.17           611.0
>
> Thanks,
> -Adnan

> List technical documents are available at:
>                  http://www.si-list.net