[SI-LIST] Re: Analog and Digital grounds

  • From: "POWELL, DOUG" <DOUG.POWELL@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:17:23 -0700

All,
Many different consultants will argue for common grounding, distributed
grounding, star grounding or a combination thereof.  I would venture to
say that I can find nearly equal numbers in each camp.  And being
employed by this or that "well-known" company makes little difference.
I would like to propose that you should use the grounding scheme that
works best for the application.  The problem is of course that you must
understand the needs of the system.

In my experience, it is all too often the case that engineers do not
"design" ground, relying on the old adage "ground is ground the world
around."  Of course this is not true and interference between systems is
more likely the case.

So, in the end you must understand the type of noise that is being
generated, the path that currents will take, the types of voltage surges
that may occur and the susceptible circuits in the vicinity.  Then you
can decide which grounding method is best.  But don't forget to verify
your results.

- Doug Powell

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org