[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: Longer SATA tx (host to drive) transfers issue

  • From: Charles Hill <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 07:25:10 -0600

Hi,

It sounds like you have multiple issues.

First, I agree with most of what Gert says, but have a slightly
different view. The SATA system always has reflections since the return
loss on the load is not infinite. This is because there is capacitance
on the load. Problems arise when the transmission path has impedance
discontinuities and when the return loss of the source is not good.
Multiple reflections are what causes ripples in the frequency response
of the channel. These multiple reflections get worse when the channel
losses are low (yes, I said low not high). Your 3cm cable loss is low
and it might work better with a longer (yes, I said longer) cable.
Don't add any shunt capacitance.

Second, it is very suspicious that it works with a 128K buffer (10
seconds) but not a 4M buffer (lots of retries 1 minute). This sounds
like your application layer implementation is at fault. Without getting
more information as to the FISes that are being transferred, it's hard
to say what is wrong. My feeling is that this is the most likely cause.

Third, most SATA drivers detect the excessive retries and renegotiate
the link down from 6G to 3G to 1.5G. I guess yours doesn't do that,
bringing the host SATA driver into question. Perhaps you could try it
with a different host. Anyway, this is not part of the SATA spec itself.

Good luck,
Chuck Hill, consultant, SATAIO Phy WG chair

On 07/15/2015 05:52 AM, Havermann, Gert wrote:

SATA doesn't like reflections, thus I would first search for sources of
reflection (use TDR, VNA, or Oscilloscope and a Data Source). You can also
try to add losses (very long and lossy cables), or add capacitance to lower
the rising edge of the transmitted Signal. If this improves the data link,
then you can be certain that there are reflections. When there are no vias in
the link, then a bad current return path can be the troublemaker. Check if
there is a solid GND connection all along the transmission path.
I don't expect any timing problems in your SATA link.
BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB
8808; Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning,
Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann, Dipl.-Wirtschaftsing. Ralf Martin Klein,
Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Gräff

From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "dp@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: [SI-LIST] Longer SATA tx (host to drive) transfers issue
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:27:35 +0000

Hi Dimiter,

sounds like a reflection problem. Check all via's in your design and
backrill every via stub that exeeds 1,3mm (when possible). You should
also TDR the Signal path if you have the equipment to do so.