[SI-LIST] Re: Longer SATA tx (host to drive) transfers issue

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:58:26 +0300

Hi Gert,

are you sure it sounds like a SATA link problem? It works fine
when the buffer is shorter (i.e. read 128 kilobytes then write
them, this in a loop taking about 10S, as expected).
Hey, I have to test with only a little longer buffer, 128k
is exactly 256 512 byte sectors (IRQ handles this differently
past that, may be this line is at fault... not much hope
as nothing would work if it were but I'll look into it
now :-) ).

Then making the cable better or worse did not affect things in the least....

There are no vias between the chip pads and the pads where the
cable is soldered to the board, the tx (the longer) traces are
about 20-25mm long, goint in parallel, meant to be 100 Ohm to each
other...

I wish I knew how to tell the part to go 1.5GbpS and not 3,
I can neither measure what it does there nor do I know how
to affect it (Marvell chip, no datasheet).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "dp@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: [SI-LIST] Longer SATA tx (host to drive) transfers issue
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:27:35 +0000

Hi Dimiter,

sounds like a reflection problem. Check all via's in your design and
backrill every via stub that exeeds 1,3mm (when possible). You should
also TDR the Signal path if you have the equipment to do so.

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339
Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8808;
Vertretungsberechtigte
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning, Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann,
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsing. Ralf Martin Klein, Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Gräff