[SI-LIST] AW: PCIe3 trace width(8mil) and edge distance(3 to 4 mil) between + and - of differential pairs?

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:38:21 +0100

there have been many discussions on the list about the coupling, thus I don't
want to summarize all of them.
For your special case I see a potential issue in close coupling as it is on the
outer layer. Outer layer aren't preferred for impedance controlled traces as
(among other reasons) the copper thickness added during thru hole plating is
hard to control. This leads to etching variations. With such close coupling as
you propose (3-4 mil) you will see strong impedance variations ( I would expect
the gap to vary at least from 3 to 5 mil).

Ask your PCB vendor about the etch tolerances for your layout and stack, and
then do a quick cornercase simulation.

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Edgar-Peter Duening, Torsten Ratzmann, Dr. Alexander Rost