[SI-LIST] AC coupling capacitors for 10-20GBs design

  • From: "ryansatrom" <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:18:49 -0000

Hi All-

I am designing a high-speed loopback signal with an AC-coupling capacitor in
the path.  I have designed them at lower speeds (sub-5GBs) but the current
design requires 10-20GBs.

The problem is that the capacitors that I plan to use don't provide performance
data beyond ~5GHz (http://www.yuden.co.jp/us/product/pdf/jmk063bj104kp.pdf).

My initial thought is that the capacitor will continue to work as a short for
increased data rates, but would like some feedback before I finalize the design.

1)  Are there any concerns with AC-coupling capacitors at 10-20Gbs?
2)  If so, can anybody provide recommendations for 0201 capacitors that will
work well at these data rates?

Thanks!
Ryan Satrom
r.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx