[SI-LIST] Re: AC coupling capacitors (SATA, PCIe)

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tesla <emcesd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:58:10 -0700

The foolish idea of OOB signaling imposes a requirement for much larger
capacitance values than would be needed had the functions used for OOB
signaling been done in-band, or even over a low-speed channel like an
LVDS pair. This would have made a number of channel design aspects much
easier and more scalable: ISI, and VCO stability to name but two. Alas,
we have no time machine to go back and correct this. We can only hope
that the next time a group gets together they learn lessons from the
past. Digital switching transistors are cheap. It's easy to build
multiplexors to divide out overhead bandwidth in digital. Analog
circuits are expensive. Everything possible should be done to minimize
burdening a high speed channel.
Steve.

--
Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: