[SI-LIST] Re: AC coupling capacitors (SATA, PCIe)

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:20:10 +0200

Hello Rohit,

thanks for the answer, and sorry for my bad description.

I hope to clarify what I ment:
 Any kind of Capacitor that is specially designed for AC-Coupling
(DC-Blocking) for a specific application (PCIe, SATA, ...) e.g. :
- low ESR/ESL caps / high Q caps / controlled ESR caps
- Special material
- size other than 0402 (e. g. 0201 or reverse geometry)
- Special designed to have the impdeance minimum fitting to the
application (I have no idea how to fit 10MHz from plot in the link below
to e.g. 3GHz of a SATA interface).
- ... ????

I found a lot of documents dealing with Capacitors for PDN, but not too
much for Capacitors used as AC-coupling in serial link applications.
e. g.     www.murata.com/products/article/pdf/ta1082.pdf

Currently I can optimize my board e. g. in order to avoid the
Capacitance of the pads, but I have somehow no idea whether I can use
some optimized capacitors as AC-Coupling of a SATA or PCIe interface ..

Any feedback welcome ..

Hermann

Our next Events:
================

"Open the Black Box of Memory"
Seminar on 08/09. November 2012

Check our website or contact us for details

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Veilchenstrasse 1
94554 Moos
Tel.:   +49 (0)9938 / 902 083
Mobile: +49 (0)176  / 787 787 77
Fax:    +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008

Am 13.09.2012 12:38, schrieb Rohit MISHRA:
> Hello Hermann,
>
> I don't know what do you mean by "special AC coupling capacitors" but there
> was a paper from Yaochao Yang & his team in DesignCon 2012, Titled " Embedded
> DC Blocking Capacitors in Connectors - Study of Impacts on PCB Design"
>
> You can have a look, May be you can find what you are looking for.
>
> Rgds,
> Rohit

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: