[SI-LIST] AC Waveform question, clarification

  • From: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:26:09 -0700

I am assuming a full-wave rectified signal. There is no negative half
cycle. The negative half-cycle has been converted to a positive half-cycle
through full wave rectification.  Assume the diode voltage drops are zero!!

I am assuming an ordinary analog meter --- no switches, no internal
circuitry. Just a coil and a magnet! full scale equates to one volt (DC).
(Alternatively, assume a 1 mA DC current meter with a series 1K resistor).

The reason I ask the question is that I expect the answer to be the average
value. But I have just traced the circuit for a commercially available VOM
and the circuit is designed as if the answer is the RMS value. I am trying
to understand why.

Doug

Hi all,

I know I must have learned this in school, but now I'm not sure of the answer!

Assume I have a full-wave rectified sine wave of low frequency. Assume the
magnitude is 1.0 Volt peak (zero to peak). Assume I apply this wave form
across an ordinary 1 Volt analog meter. What does the meter read?
The RMS value (.707 Volts)  or
The average value (.636 Volts)

Doug

List archives are viewable at: