[SI-LIST] Re: AC Waveform question

  • From: "Jackson, T L" <t.l.jackson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:26:40 -0700

A normal analog meter is an averaging meter.  The mechanical damping to make
the needle steady is a low-pass averaging filter.  So if you measure AC on a
DC setting, you get an averaged measurement.

For AC or rms scales, it is still making an averaging measurement, But, the
result are scaled by the rms/average scale factor for a sinewave.  If the
waveshape is not a sinewave, the rms reading may be accurate, but not
calibrated.

TJ
Thomas L. Jackson, PE
Senior Staff System Engineer
L1-50, Remote Sensing Systems Engineering
Missiles and Space Operations
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
telephone: (408) 742-2013
facsimile: (408) 742-7701