[SI-LIST] Re: 4layer board stack up for PCI boards

  • From: "Brent DeWitt" <bdewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:22:35 -0600

Just a thought to stimulate conversation:

It seems that four layer boards are almost becoming a lose-lose situation as
edge speeds go up.  Using the assumption that the circuit will be packed
with small geometry SMD, there is simply no way to both maintain reasonable
trace Z and get good power plane to ground plane decoupling _if_ you have a
typical 0.063" board thickness.

Why not have a thin board (4-5 mil dielectric layers), with a thick
"stiffener" board (roughly 0.040") laminated to the back?  Of course this
kills the possibility of components on the "backside" of the assembly, but
it does get you into a manageable SI/EMC situation.

I don't know of any vendors offering such a stack-up, but it does seem
interesting.

Your thoughts?

Brent DeWitt
Datex-Ohmeda
Louisville, CO

---- Matthias Mansfeld <m.mansfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 27 Sep 01 at 12:52, GOPALCHETI,MANOJ (HP-Cupertin wrote:
>
> [....]
> > 1. With Power and Ground plane closer and far from signal layers
> > Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
> > Dielectric 26mils
> > Plane Layer 1.00oz
> > Dielectric 8mils
> > Plane Layer 1.00oz
> > Dielectric 26mils
> > Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
> with FR4 er=4.2 about 110 Ohm
>
> > 2. With Power and Ground plane separated far but closer to signal
layers.
> > Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
> > Dielectric 20mils
> > Plane Layer 1.00oz
> > Dielectric 16mils
> > Plane Layer 1.00oz
> > Dielectric 20mils
> > Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
> about 100 Ohm.
>
> Nevertheless, I'd prefer Stackup 1. Better broadband decoupling of
> VCC/GND. Perhaps consider decreasing inner dielectricum down to 4
> mit. That's much better. If necessary, fatten these traces where the
> impedance value ist important (mostly the stuff which goes out to the
> bus).
>
> Regards
> Matthias Mansfeld

> List archives are viewable at:

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: