[SI-LIST] 4layer board stack up for PCI boards

  • From: "GOPALCHETI,MANOJ (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <manoj_gopalcheti@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:52:19 -0400

I have a question about 4 layer PCB stack up for PCI adapter board. The
board runs with 33Mhz PCI and other signals are 30MHz. I have two stack ups
and trying get some help which stack will be better( good EMI and signal
integrity) and would like to understand. The PCI board should have
60-100Ohms impedance and width of the board is 62 mils. I am using FR4
material.

1. With Power and Ground plane closer and far from signal layers
Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
Dielectric 26mils
Plane Layer 1.00oz
Dielectric 8mils
Plane Layer 1.00oz
Dielectric 26mils
Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace

2. With Power and Ground plane separated far but closer to signal layers.
Signal Layer 1.5Oz, 8 mil trace
Dielectric 20mils
Plane Layer 1.00oz
Dielectric 16mils