[SI-LIST] Re: 100nF AC coupling caps

  • From: Carson Au <carson.au@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 22:58:37 +1100

Hi Scott,
I do not doubt that impedance compensation of the pad will improve channel
margins. However, compensating for this is not quite free margin - there is
considerable difficulty in implementing this on lower end EDA tools (let
alone working out the appropriate compensation using a 3D field solver
tool). The ground copper removal could also disturb the return path of
signals on the opposite side of this plane.

I guess my question is - when is pad compensation critical? What does it
depend on?

For example, a typical pad on an 0402 component could be 0.6mm in length.
Wavelength of the nyquist frequency of a 10Gb channel on a PCB would be
approximately 33.4mm (200ps/6ps/mm) (I acknowledge that higher frequency
content would exist, but this is just a quick estimation). Is the impedance
discontinuity of 0.6mm in comparison to the nyquist wavelength
insignificant?

Regards,
Carson

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carson
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking.  We can certainly document that
> compensation of capacitor transitions improves performance in Serdes
> channels.  That is not up for debate any more than tight impedance control
> is. Whether there is a specific design study that says a system failed due
> to just a cap ... who knows.  Systems fail for all sorts of reasons, and
> most of those reasons are the interaction between reflections across
> multiple components.  Optimization is free margin.  Once done, the margin
> is always there and costs nothing to implement. Optimization of structures
> always provides better system performance.
>
> regards
>
> Scott
>

> Scott McMorrow
> Consultant - R&D
> 16 Stormy Brook Rd
> Falmouth, ME 04105
> (401) 284-1827 Business
> http://www.teraspeed.com
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Carson Au <carson.au@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Are there studies/papers on the practical effect of not compensating for
>> the pad impedance in SERDES channel design? Has there been any documented
>> channel failures due to not compensating for these pad impedances?
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Zheng Edison <edisonzheng@xxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,experts
>>> What is the difference between using 100nf caps and using 200nf caps(or
>>> some other values) in serdes links?thanks.
>>> HW
>>> edison

>>> 0402 DC blocking capacitor in a differential configuration can be
>>> designed
>>> to be mounted on a PCB and have a return loss of better than -35 dB out
>>> 12.5 GHz.  Such a capacitor has essentially flat response.  I just

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: