[SI-LIST] Re: 100nF AC coupling caps

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Zheng Edison <edisonzheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 10:32:32 -0500

Impedance of a capacitor is
Z = 1/(2 x pi x f x C)

Capacitor feeds a 50 ohm transmission line

Capacitor and transmission line form a voltage divider

Vout = Vin x (50/(Zcap(f)+50)

charging time constant of a capacitor

t = 1/RC = 1/(50*C)

These equations along with the spectrum of your serial bit stream tell you
everything you need to know.

As eric bogatin says:  "Do the math."

Scott McMorrow
Consultant - R&D