[SI-LIST] Re: 0.9 mil,0.8 mil,0.7mil gold wire application for IC packaging

  • From: aditya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: heidi.barnes@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:11:44 -0700

This is very true. Due to skin effect, at 10 GHz the signal will =20
practically be travelling on the surface of the wire.

So, from this perspective, a typical circular wire is actually the =20
most inefficient. A cylinder has the least perimeter to area ratio.

It's a theoretical statement, but for this reason, an elliptical wire =20
will give much better high frequency characteristics than a circular =20
wire. Maybe someday someone tries it out.

Since the concern mentioned below is cost of gold, it would be easy to =20
see that for the same surface area a 1:2 ratioed ellipse will have =20
more than 33% less area, i.e. more than 33% less gold. Gold prices =20
have hit $ 900 a troy ounce.

Regards

Aditya
Reliant PCB Design Services