[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: who is -

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DestinoGS1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:22:48 -0400

All I said is it's a scathing review...........BUT, since you've asked:
 Kate Connick founded Courteous Canine dog training in 1991, forming
Courteous Canines LLC in late 2000. In addition to working with riding
and racing horses, her background includes volunteering in an animal
shelter where daily she met with the plight of homeless dogs and cats.
Her formal education involves human nature, however. Kate has a Master's
Degree in forensic psychology. Her business allows her the best of both
worlds in being able to coach not only dogs but their human partners.

Kate is a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, Port Chester
Obedience Training Club, and Contact Agility Club.  She was among the
first Certified Pet Dog Trainers, is an evaluator for Therapy Dogs
International, and she tattoos dogs for identification through Tatoo A
Pet. She is the former volunteer webmaster of the Northeastern Boxer
Rescue website, and she volunteers her time regularly to visit
psychiatric patients with her own certified therapy dogs. She recently
began participating in a Reading to Rover program, as well.

Kate teaches beginner and "for fun" agility classes at Port Chester
Obedience Training Club in White Plains, NY. She also instructs group
obedience classes through Inter-Village Continuing Education at the
Ardsley Middle and High Schools in Ardsley, NY (formerly at the Hastings
Community Center in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY), as well as through
Larchmont-Mamaroneck Continuing Education. Kate previously instructed
obedience at Cara Na Madra Dog Training in Greenwich, CT and agility at
Bandilane School for Dogs in Stamford, CT. Much of her business involves
housecalls and private training throughout Westchester County, New York,
and surrounding areas.

Kate's own dogs are trained in obedience, agility, pet-facilitated
therapy, carting, canine water sports, and advertising work. . . but
first and foremost, they are beloved pets. She has lived with a variety
of dogs including a mutts, rescued boxers and terriers. She currently
shares her home with a Scottish terrier, a Cesky terrier, a boxer, and a
gloriously quirky-looking mutt.

Kate's philosophy is simple. Use consistency, positive reinforcement,
sensible leadership, and a sense of humor to shape your dog into the
most enjoyable companion he can be.

    FYI - Port Chester OTC has been, for many long years, one of the
premier training clubs in the country.

So, it seems that Miss Connick is well qualified to comment on someone
else's book on training.

Peggy