[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whelping area & other dogs

  • From: "Kristen Cabe" <showgsdlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SHOWGSD-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:17:21 -0400

Being home or not doesn't matter. You've never had a problem with the dam
becoming protective towards your other dogs after whelping?
I had to separate my dam from the other female I have in the house (my
spayed pet) 2-3 weeks before her due date because she was attacking the
spayed girl (I'm talking serious fights, resulting in puncture wounds, not
just verbal tiffs).

Additionally, my mentor told me to keep *all *of my other dogs away/out of
sight of the dam after she whelped because she would be protective and could
end up injuring and/or killing the pups if she decided to launch herself out
of the whelping pool if she thought one of the other dogs was too close or
whatever.

Kristen