[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Rose Colored Glasses / silly question

  • From: Cinosam GSD's <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kathaleen
I don?t take it as a slam and your advice makes sense. In fact, I can honestly
say that there are some lines I just wouldn?t touch based on my research just
as you suggest. But some of that is personal preference which is why people
keep breeding right into those lines. Lets face it, a lot of what you describe
just keeps on winning in the show ring. For example, I just cannot stand bad
feet, splayed long toes?I hate them. Not only are they ugly, but bad feet can
have an impact on the soundness of the dog when it comes to herding and
working. How many dogs win with bad feet? As one handler said to me, who can
see them in the grass <shrug>.
I also wouldn?t consider bad fronts and rears health problems unless of course
they are also producing bad hips and elbows. Would I want to breed into that?
No? But it is something that you can pick up on just by watching and
researching the lines. What concerns me is when supposed outstanding
representatives of the breed are dying before they turn five and come from
lines that have a history of producing shortlived dogs yet people just keep
breeding right into those lines. I guess they figure that getting a dog with
great sidegait (or whatever outstanding quality that line produces) is worth
it. Definitely solves the problem of overcrowding in the kennels.
My biggest concern and the reason for my previous post is that I might breed
into major health problems without even knowing it. I know that the right thing
to do is to talk to the owner of the stud dog, and just get a "feel" for the
situation. I just hope my instincts are good enough to pick right. I did like
the suggestion of talking to others that have bred to the stud dog, but again
if the bitch owner has health problems or faults within the litter who will
they blame?certainly not the bitch.
Cindy
Cinosamgsd
PS - Can you explain what you mean by "dead tails" I?ve never heard that
expression before.

Kathaleen Strong <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cinosam GSD's wrote:
>I don't think anyone was blaming the handlers, I think the blame was being
>placed on the breeders for letting handlers drive their breeding program.
>
>I do have a question though. Kathleen mentioned breeders breeding bitches to
>dogs with "known" health problems. How are these health problems such common
>knowledge. It seems I can talk to 10 different people about the same dog and
>get 10 different responses regarding the health and quality of that dog's
>offspring. How can one make an educated decision on finding that quality stud
>when the only source of information comes from people with so many different
>agendas?
>

>Cindy
>
>Cinosamgsd

Cindy:

What I will write following is not meant as a personal slam to you - but
there's just one way a person can make an educated decision:

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

If you see 5-6 dogs at a show that have, for example, dead tails, look
at catalog, see the parents - go home, do some research and look for
common demonimators in the pedigree. Do this everytime you go to a
show. Watch the national video tapes. Everytime you see a particular
problem - do the same kind of research and look for the common
denominators. With some problems - you will see it VERY Quickly. For
other problems that are not easy to see because of the fact they are
terminal for the dog; you have to keep records - and then again... look
for the common denominators. These common denominators don't always
mean that the dog produced the problem everytime, but if a dog/bitch
produces a large number of the same problem - chances are they are
factored for it heavily and you may be opening up a big can of worms if
you breed into that blood. Maybe not... but what I've found over the
years - even if you think you've overcomed a problem in your breeding
program... you will get re-nailed eventually. If you don't recognize
the problems - dead tails, dragging toes, lack of followthrough, poor
front assemblies, lack of proper coordination, etc., then get educated
before you breed your litters.

The good thing about the - Common Denominator research - it works just
as well for producing and improving your breeding program. If 5 or 6
dogs have the same good quality you want to incorporate in your program
- look for which common denominators these animals have. Do it at every
show. If you find a common denominator for say... good fronts or good
rears or whatever... does it mean that this dog will give it to your
bitch? Not necessarily - but if your bitches blood and the good progeny
produced by the dams bred the common denominator are similar... it might
be something to look further into.

Again, this isn't meant as a slam or to be snide... OPEN YOUR EYES...
you'll get a wealth of information.

Kathaleen

Kathaleen Strong Inflight Kennels Reg'd Breeder of:
95 US GV Spencer ROM, AOE 96 GVx Lilly Marlene PT, Jubilee ROM
http://inflight.cnc.net

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original