[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Cardiac and GSD's, now DM testing

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, terryr@xxxxxxxxxxxx, pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:07:01 EST

I'm not going to go through this again, lol.

Personally, I'll wait until they do more research...I have work to  do.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 3/1/2011 9:01:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Ok I am  getting confused...as I am reading this it says to me that the
mutated  gene is seen in 70% of certin breeds and 40% in others. It looks
me to  say that 70% of the dogs in say Boxers carry 1 or 2 sets of the
mutated  gene. And in some others 40% of the dogs carry 1 or 2 sets of the
breed. I  do not see ANYWHERE that it says the test is only 40% reliable??
It further  says to test offspring and use it in a way to lower the
precentage of dogs  in the gene pool carrying the mutation.

Here is what it says
A  relatively high percentage of dogs in several breeds have the
predisposing
mutation. With the testing done thus far (thru February 2011), the
frequency
of the mutation is over 70% in Boxers, Pembroke Welsh Corgis,  and Wire Fox
Terriers. There are another 10 breeds where the mutation  frequency is over
40%. For breeds with a high frequency of the DM  mutation, it will take
wise
use of the test and several generations to  maintian a healthy and diverse
gene pool while reducing the prevalence of  DM. It is important for
breeders
and owners to keep in mind all the traits  present in an individual dog,
and
not to simply breed a test result. We  encourage breeders to DNA test
potential breeding stock and consider the  results of the DM test as part
of
their evaluation and decision-making  process.

Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German  Shepherds
http://www.peakesbrookshepherds.net/