[ SHOWGSD-L ] was Cardiac and GSD's, now DM testing

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: terryr@xxxxxxxxxxxx, pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:01:06 EST

Sure.

I included the link for the company who developed (and is continuing to
develop I guess) the test used by the OFA.  They are looking for a mutation
of a marker when they test and their results depend on if they find the
marker  on one DNA strand, both, or neither.

I quoted from the top of their web site ""A relatively high percentage of
dogs in several  breeds have the
> predisposing mutation. With the  testing done thus far (thru  February
> 2011), the
> frequency  of the mutation is over 70% in Boxers, Pembroke Welsh Corgis,
>  and
> Wire Fox Terriers. There are another 10 breeds where the   mutation
> frequency is
> over 40%."

So, as of February 2011 GSDs aren't in the 70%.  The company  isn't
specific so I'm not even certain that we are in the 40%.

There had been testing and research that was being done in FL, which was
specific to our breed.  (Not sure of the status of that but I know the  GSDCA
gave then $$$$). There has been some concern that markers for different
breeds were at different locations on the DNA strand.  There has even been
speculation that the disease is actually different from breed to breed; one
similar to MS, one closer to Lou Gherig's (sp????).

WHEN WE DO THIS TEST ARE WE REALLY SCREENING OUR DOGS FOR THE TYPE OF
MARKER THAT WOULD INDICATE DM IN SAY...A CORGI?????

Ginny has really done her home work on this and I know can explain it much
better than I.

So, back to the test recognized by the OFA.  I guess my concern is,  (let's
give the test the benefit of the doubt and assume for sake of argument
that the test is 40% reliable) and let's say a dog is tested clear.   By the
company's own admission, the most we can expect is that the test is  40%
reliable.  THE MOST!

Now, I applaud continuing research and I'm ALL ABOUT breeding healthy
dogs.  Personally, I am relying on pouring over pedigrees for now.  A  test
that
may or may not be 40% reliable for our breed....hmmmm....

I agree this is a horrific disease (thankfully, knocking on wood, I've
never had it).   For now though, give me the pedigree rather than a  test that
at best, by the company's own admission, as recent as lat month, is at  best
40%.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 2/28/2011 8:10:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
terryr@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Kathy,
I am sorry but I do not understand how the quote you  included about DM
supports your opinion. Could you expound on it.