[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tumors/spleen

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:13:43 EST

In a message dated 12/7/04 3:39:00 AM, chcohosh@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< They felt the size could be do to the
stress and bloat as the spleen will engorge during this type of event. But
they also said that there could be a mass on the spleen and that this was
very common with GSD's.

So my question - anyone had experience with this or heard that tumors of the
spleen are common? >>

++++++++++

I have some experience in this.  First, I have always been told by my vets
that often GSD's have spleens that are larger than most dogs and often there is
nothing wrong with them.

Second, my champion/UD foundation bitch died of a mass on her spleen that
burst and made her go into cardiac arrest.  She was 12 1/2 and one night she
began  throwing up at about 2 am. She had always had a cast iron stomach and
when
this continued for about 40 minutes I rushed her to emergency as I was
concerned she may be starting to bloat/torsion.  The emergency confirmed that
she was
not bloating or torsioning but they wanted to keep her over night.  When I
picked her up in the morning, they said they  thought she just had a case of
enteritis and she should be fine and to feed her light meals for a day or so.
took one look at her and decided she wasn't fine and was waiting for my vet
when she arrived at 7:30 am.  My wonderful vet, looked at her, felt her abdomen
and felt there was something going on with her spleen.  She  did exrays, an
ultrasound & blood work on her and found that she did have a tumor on her
spleen
that was bleeding.  Both vets in the practice felt she needed surgery and
felt it should be done by a board certified surgeon as they knew how much she
meant to me. To make a long story short, before the board certified surgeon
arrived she went into cardiac arrest (they felt the tumor burst).  They were
able
to revive her but in about 20 minutes it happened again and we lost her.  From
the first signs of her illness to when she passed over the rainbow bridge it
was less that  16 hours.  She had showed absolutely no signs prior to vomiting
that early morning. Why  the emergency vet didn't catch the problem, I am not
sure as that particular emergency hospital is excellent.

So if you even suspect something like a tumor on the spleen I would ultra
sound immediately.

Hope this helps.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com