[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .... training and the GSD

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 08:57:43 -0400 (EDT)

Yeah...BUT...even people who have had GSDs or other large dogs previously
(one of my qualifiers BTW), have been sold the "cookie power" training
methods  now.  I forget which store someone told me they were in but they no
longer  carry choke or martingale collars.

Next we have the "wait out the behavior" obedience trainers, in other
words, wait for a dog to do something right and rain cookies on them.   (Rhett
is laying at my feet now, should I rain cookies on him for laying  down?
"Good lay down!" He'd be happy but convinced I really have lost my  mind!)

Then we have the Cesar Millan followers who think problems THEY create can
be solved in a 1/2 hour  between commercial breaks.

You can qualify potential buyers until you are blue in the face but the
reality is, once that puppy leaves your hands, there's very little you can do
to  combat the row of business cards at the vets' offices, the solicitations
for  in-home training and the nuts who are supporting dog cookie companies.

I know we're in trouble when they are paying the vet to trim 12 week old
Princess' nails....

There has to be a happy medium.  The old snatch-and-jerk don training
method was a bit much, the "cookie power" method is ruining just as many  dogs.

Hopefully the pendulum will swing back towards center a bit. My  puppy
packet is now almost book length but I doubt fewer then 10% actually READ  it.
I can tell by the questions that come up.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 4/6/2014 9:59:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I always  ask possible buyers if they have owned a GSD before and try to
get
them to  talk about that experience.   We Need to know if it is the right
Breed for them...or if they are the right owner for a GSD.

Zoa is  right on.   This Breed is supposed to be powerful enough in
character
to take a threatening 'hit' from a big Ram and go over fences and  through
almost anything when 'sent in' after someone..and the 'stick' when  learning
SchH
I think it can handle a tough correction when it is  getting out of control
with
bites or aggression towards people or  another dog.
You cannot control a dog that is too aggressive  and out of control as some
are
when tested around sheep... by  withholding treats while they go after the
sheep
or slipping them a  cookie if they do something RIGHT!   They need a QUICK
and
harsh correction...not a COOKIE!   They should thrive on  PRAISE.
Cookies and treats are great for teaching a dog to alert and  double....NOT
for
discipline.   Does no good to treat them  for NOT doing something unless you
have
YEARS to work on it.  They  don't think that way about food. They just want
more.

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

-----Original  Message-----
From: On Behalf Of Steve Reierstad  Subject: Re: puppy  training and the GSD

It is sad to know that this kind of "Training"  is now the "IN Thing".
Sadder yet is that some people are
making  Money off teaching puppies all the wrong things.  Dr.  Rockenstein's
comparison to the "Entitlement Generation" is  spot-on.
Steve Reierstad

Subject: Re: puppy training and  the GSD

As many of you know, this (positive only) is the new trend  in obedience
training.  I really do not think
it is the way to go  for gsd puppies!  It is like the permissive parenting
that resulted in  "the entitlement generation" that teachers and employers
struggle with  today.  I don't want to see my puppy buyers raising
gsds  that feel "entitled" to bite them, jump up on them, pull them down
the
street, run wild because they
feel like it, etc.  While I  did not spank my children, and don't beat my
dogs, I do enforce boundaries  and limits.  Biting me is never allowed.
Rule # 1.  If a  puppy is not biting me at the moment, and I give a cookie,
am I teaching  the puppy
not to bite me?  I doubt it.  I thank Sue for her post  about this.
The last thing we need is more gsds in rescue for undue  aggression!

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com

arcturusgermanshepherds@xxxxxxxxx

>It sounds to me like the  people who were teaching the dog training have no
clue as to what they
are doing and totally have this puppy thinking it is okay to do what  he
wants and he will get a
cookie even if he does something wrong. It  certainly is not the dog's
fault!!! >