[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: .... training and the GSD

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 06:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

I 100% agree with you, very well put.

Once the puppy leaves your premises you are  no longer in control the new owner
is.
This society has become lazy in training dogs treats and clickers
are now the way most trainers and owners chose. Then when
they have a problem they call in Cesar Millan or someone
like him to solve the problem. When I watched him hold down
a puppy upside down until it no longer fought that was
it for me. I guess if you break the spirit you having a robot
it responds. Each puppy and dog are individuals and needs
to be trained according and placed by their personalities.
As some can handle a hard temperament dog others need
a softer dog but I do see the softer dogs now more often.
This might be the reason for the treats and clickers that are
being used. When the hard puppy arrives though these methods
do not work on them. You always need to connect with your puppy
to make them a good dog understanding them is the key word.

Theresa

  Date: Monday, April 7, 2014, 8:57 AM

 Yeah...BUT...even people who have had
 GSDs or other large dogs previously
 (one of my qualifiers BTW), have been sold the "cookie
 power" training
 methods  now.  I forget which store someone told
 me they were in but they no
 longer  carry choke or martingale collars.

 Next we have the "wait out the behavior" obedience trainers,
 in other
 words, wait for a dog to do something right and rain cookies
 on them.   (Rhett
 is laying at my feet now, should I rain cookies on him for
 laying  down?
 "Good lay down!" He'd be happy but convinced I really have
 lost my  mind!)

 Then we have the Cesar Millan followers who think problems
 THEY create can
 be solved in a 1/2 hour  between commercial breaks.

 You can qualify potential buyers until you are blue in the
 face but the
 reality is, once that puppy leaves your hands, there's very
 little you can do
 to  combat the row of business cards at the vets'
 offices, the solicitations
 for  in-home training and the nuts who are supporting
 dog cookie companies.

 I know we're in trouble when they are paying the vet to trim
 12 week old
 Princess' nails....

 There has to be a happy medium.  The old
 snatch-and-jerk don training
 method was a bit much, the "cookie power" method is ruining
 just as many  dogs.
 Hopefully the pendulum will swing back towards center a bit.
 My  puppy
 packet is now almost book length but I doubt fewer then 10%
 actually READ  it.
 I can tell by the questions that come up.

 Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
 Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
 visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

http://showgsd.org/mail.html