[ SHOWGSD-L ] totally off topic....going through the boxes of my life

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:17:54 -0800 (PST)

..and happened upon my Mothers check book cover...a tattered plastic gold one,
adored with the Praying Hands symbol and the Serenity Prayer.
My Mom was my BEST friend. We used to laugh and say she was the embodiment of
Edith Bunker with a little of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm thrown in for good
measure. She managed to go through life without an unkind word toward anyone;
and unlike her daughter (who could make a merchant Marine blush on an off day)
she never, EVER swore. She was always the first to lend a hand, an ear, a
dollar, a meal or a place to stay. The gardens that sprang up anywhere she
lived were wonders to behold. Cosmos..six foot high, swaying in the summer
winds..marigolds vying for space crowding out every inch of real estate...sky
blue marigolds, creeping up the twine she would string...reaching for the
second floor balcony. Birds found safety in the plants by her door, and often
placed a carefully crafted nest in the largest ones to house their babies.
Somehow they knew they were safe from harm. The plant would inevitably wither
and die from lack of water and Mom would just
 smile and say,"Next year I better get artificial". But she never did.
I opened the checkbook cover to see what may have been left inside. Underneath
the plastic that would have held the cardboard, I found a poem
that had been carefully clipped from a newspaper many years ago. It was
entitled,
"At Day's End"....
"Is anybody happier because you passed his way?
Does anyone remember that you spoke to him today?
The day is almost over, and its toiling time is through;
Is there anyone to utter now a kindly word of you?
Can you say tonight in parting with the day thats slipping fast,
That you helped a single brother of the many that you passed?
Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did or said;
Does the man whose hopes were fading now with courage look ahead?
Did you waste the day, or lose it? Was it well or sorely spent?
Did you leave a trail of kindness, or a scar of discontent?
As you close your eyes in slumber, do you think that God will say
"You have earned one more tomorrow for the work you did today".
                                     John Hall
As we begin this New Year with an eye toward the future, and a fervent
hope for healing in our Country, remember that one life...just one
life can make a difference. I know my Mom did.
Dawn