[ SHOWGSD-L ] Saying Goodbye

  • From: Jackie Short-Nguyen <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 11:39:16 -0500

This post isn't for a German Shepherd Dog, but for a Siamese cat I rescued,
that helped me raise a German Shepherd Dog
My mom, who is back in Wisconsin, told me today that my old Siamese, Kaia,
will cross the bridge in about an hour.

She was rescued from the local kill shelter when she was very young, nearly
died on me after I adopted her, and turned out to be a most amazing friend
once she was well.

Her guesstimated age is 17-18 years, so she is not young by any means. She
has been declining for the last year, but made it through Christmas and the
new year. Mom was telling me that she has randomly just fallen over,
several times, just standing around. She's been vomiting, and has lost
weight. I think her kidneys are failing.

I gave her the go ahead to free her from her suffering, but I think it's
even harder for mom than me.

I left Kaia behind in Wisconsin when I moved in 2010, because she was so
old, and she's always been a small cat (her max weight was 6 pounds in her
prime), and I didn't want to stress her out. I do not regret leaving her
with my mom, as I know that cat has sat on her sore knees for quite a long
time, and my mom really loves her.  I just wish I could be there to say
goodbye.

Strauss and Kaia were the best of friends. They'd lay on my bed together,
and Kaia would groom Strauss for the longest time, and she wouldn't let him
up until she was finished. A six pound cat controlled a 90 lb dog with no
trouble at all.

There will never be another like her. She's why I love Meezers so much.
Sweet, affectionate, vocal, and beautiful.

Rest easy Little One. Run with Zander, and Twink, Mittens, and Lucky. I'm
going to miss you so terribly.
--
Jackie & Jonathan Nguyen Marcato German
Shepherds<http://www.marcatogermanshepherds.com>